- Master of Education (Environmental Education) with Distinction, Rhodes University
- BSc Hons (Environmental Science), Rhodes University
- Water Sustainability and Development (APG 4825)
I have always been fascinated by learning and the ways in which people learn. As such social learning, learning across disciplines and communities of practice are of particular interest to me. I am also passionate about conservation and natural resource management particularly how natural resources can be managed in such a way as to promote both conservation and societal benefits.
- Audouin, M., R. Preiser, S. Nienaber, L. Downsborough, J. Lanz, and S. Mavengahama. (2013). Exploring the implications of critical complexity for the study of social-ecological systems. Ecology and Society. 18(3): 12
- Nkhata, B.A., Mosimane, A., Downsborough, L., Breen, C. and Roux, D.J. (2012). A Typology of Benefit Sharing Arrangements for the Governance of Social-Ecological Systems in Developing Countries. Ecology and Society. 17(1).
- Downsborough, L., Shackleton, C. & Knight, A. (2011). The Potential for Voluntary Instruments to Achieve Conservation Planning Goals: the Case of Conservancies in South Africa. Oryx International Journal of Conservation. 45(3) 357-364.
- Downsborough, L. (2009). Social Learning processes in a Citrus Farming Community of Practice.Southern African Journal of Environmental Education (26) 167-175.
- Shackleton, C, Parkin, F, Chauke, I, Downsborough, L, Olsen, A, Brill, G & Weideman, C. (2009). Conservation, commercialization and confusion: harvesting of Ischyrolpis in a coastal forest, South Africa. Environment, Development and Sustainability 11(2). Springer: Netherlands.
- Downsborough, L., Olvitt, L. & Lotz-Sisitka, H. (2008). EEASA Monograph- Learning in a Changing World: Selected papers from the 4th World Environmental Education Congress. ShareNet, Howick. 164pp.
- Nel, J.L., Murray, K.M., Maherry, A., Petersen, C.P., Roux, D.J., Driver, A.L., Hill, L., Funke, N., Swartz, E.R., Smith-Adao, L.B., Mbona, N., Downsborough, L., Nienaber, S. And van Deventer , H.Technical Report for the National Freshwater Ecosystem Priority Areas project. Water Research Commission, WRC Report No. 1801/2/11. ISBN: 978-1-4312-0149-5
- Breen, C.M., Downsborough, L., Roux, D.J. and Crafford, J. Impact Study of the Estuarine Researchand Related Activities Funded by the Water Research Commission. Water Research Commission, WRC Report No. KV 257/10. ISBN: 978-1-4312-0068-9
Other Professional Activities
Editor of the Environmental Education Association of Southern Africa (EEASA) Bulletin