Vacancy at Monash South Africa in the Library Services
Position: Cataloguing and Metadata Librarian
Reference number: LS/CML/02/2019
If you are after a brilliant career, Monash South Africa (MSA) can help make it happen. With leading academics and world-class resources, we offer all you need to build a bright future.
Founded by Monash University, MSA became the first institution in Sub-Saharan Africa to join the Laureate International Universities network in 2013, which has a presence in 25 countries, serving over 1,000,000 students globally across 70 institutions and online.
MSA has two Faculties: Business, Engineering and Technology and Health and Social Sciences. A one-year programme with the option of articulating into the undergraduate degrees, the Foundation Programme is also available.
The impressive, state of the art MSA campus in Ruimsig, Johannesburg is dedicated to support South Africa and the continent to meet its diverse economic and educational needs by producing graduates who are internationally relevant.
MSA Library Services invites enthusiastic, energetic, creative, and collegial candidates to apply for the full-time position of Cataloguing and Metadata Librarian. As part of the MSA Library team, the Cataloguing and Metadata Librarian will share responsibility for improving the quality of Library services, user satisfaction, and academic success through a proactive and collaborative approach. Reporting to the Director: Library Services, the Cataloguing and Metadata Librarian will serve as the lead librarian for organization, description and processing of library resources.
Key result areas and responsibilities
The successful candidate will be, amongst other duties, responsible for:
- access to digital resources and collections;
- identifying and resolving access issues related to resources;
- performing original and complex copy cataloguing and classification of materials in all formats and languages following national cataloguing standards, including batch record loading;
- developing and maintaining various platforms from which users access library resources, such as the integrated library system, discovery layers, resource sharing platforms, and institutional repository
Key selection criteria:
- A degree in a relevant area such as Librarianship or Information Management and relevant experience in a large research or academic library;
- Demonstrated knowledge of metadata schema, cataloguing standards, and tools for bibliographic access and control;
- Demonstrated experience with integrated library system software and discovery tools (e.g. Ex Libris Alma/Primo, EDS, PRIMO, WMS);
- Experience using a high-end library management system such as Alma;
- Professional understanding of cataloguing procedures & principles, including demonstrated knowledge of DDC, OCLC, AACR2, RDA, LC classification, LCSH MARC bibliographic & authority formats and metadata provision;
- Knowledge of current metadata standards, such as BIBFRAME, Dublin Core, EAD, MODS, METS, and other emerging data standards; Experience with OCLC;
- Ability to manage a variety of tasks and multiple priorities;
- Demonstrated ability to plan, coordinate, organize and complete projects; and
- The ability to work with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
Preference will be given to candidates with:
- advanced knowledge of the Ex Libris Alma integrated library system and Primo discovery system;
- evidence of advanced experience working with digital libraries or institutional repositories;
- demonstrated ability to integrate technology into workflows in language that is understood by colleagues;
- exhibited familiarity with and interest in current and emerging standards, models, applications, and initiatives such as BIBFRAME, RDF, and linked data. Ability to manipulate and analyse datasets;
- experience using metadata editing tools such as MarcEdit; and
- understanding of the processes and issues associated with the acquisition of electronic information resources.
Interested persons are invited to submit a covering letter citing the reference number, detailed CV and (three) 3 references to e-mail: email@example.com
Kindly rename all attachments with your name. i.e. Joe Soap cover letter, Joe Soap CV, etc.
For all administrative enquiries related to this advertisement, please contact Mr. Grant Phakade at (011) 950 4040.
Closing Date: 21 February 2019
Monash South Africa is an Equal Opportunity employer.