Vacancy at Monash South Africa in the Faculty of Social and Health Sciences
Position: Senior Lecturer in Political and International Studies
Reference number: FSHS/SL/PIS/11/2018
Founded by Monash University, MSA became the first institution in Sub-Saharan Africa to join the Laureate International Universities network in 2013, which has a presence in 25 countries, serving over 1,000,000 students globally across 70 institutions and online.
MMSA has two Faculties namely: Business, Engineering and Technology, and Social and Health Sciences. A one-year Foundation Programme with the option of articulating into the undergraduate degrees, is also available.
The impressive, state of the art MSA campus in Ruimsig, Johannesburg is dedicated to support South Africa and the continent to meet its diverse economic and educational needs by producing graduates that are internationally recognised. MSA offers an exciting, challenging and global working environment for academics who want to be part of a leading institution and a dynamic team.
The Faculty of Social and Health Sciences is seeking an outstanding senior academic who must be able to teach Political Studies and International Studies units under the Politics, Philosophy and International Studies programme.
The duties and responsibilities of the Senior Lecturer include, but are not limited to
- The preparation and delivery of lectures;
- Conducting tutorials, presentations, workshops, and student field excursions, where applicable;
- Providing study guidance, learning support, consultation and mentoring of students;
- Liaison with Tutors and/or Peer Collaborators;
- Initiation and development of learning materials including online materials, with appropriate advice and support from senior academic staff;
- Module/unit coordination and quality assurance;
- Administering tests, assessments, examinations and marking thereof;
- Mentoring and supervision of undergraduate and postgraduate students;
- Conducting research that results in peer-reviewed publications and quality journals/books;
- Involvement in professional activities and community engagement;
- Involvement with relevant professional and/or academic bodies;
- A range of administrative functions connected to the discipline and modules being taught;
- Involvement at departmental and/or campus level in committees/workshops/task groups;
- Assistance with programme leadership role; and
- Other duties as required.
Key selection criteria:
- Minimum PhD in the relevant discipline;
- 5 years lecturing experience;
- A proven track record of successful postgraduate supervision;
- Demonstrated capacity to lecture, conduct tutorials and seminars at university level in an effective manner in the core courses stipulated;
- Expertise in E-learning programs such as Moodle, Blackboard and Turnitin;
- Competencies in curriculum design and development;
- Knowledge of curriculum areas being taught;
- A record of research and publication in scholarly journals;
- Ability to mentor and supervise academic activities at undergraduate and postgraduate levels;
- Demonstrated capacity to coordinate modules, and conduct relevant module administration activities;
- Capacity to engage in inter-campus and inter-institutional team academic and/or community activities;
- Registration with relevant professional bodies, if applicable;
- High level of communication skills in verbal, written and electronic modes; and
- Proven high-level administrative abilities.
Interested persons are invited to submit a covering letter citing the reference number, detailed CV and (three) 3 references to e-mail: email@example.com
Kindly rename all attachments with your name. i.e. Joe Soap cover letter, Joe Soap CV, etc.
For all administrative enquiries related to this advertisement, please contact Mr. Grant Phakade at (011) 950 4040.
Closing Date: 30 November 2018
Monash South Africa is an Equal Opportunity employer.