6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate – Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
FIT1040 or FIT1002 or FIT1051
CPE1004, CSE1203, CSE2305, GCO1812, FIT1007
The emphasis in this unit is on the application of fundamental programming concepts using an object-oriented programming language. It also introduces more advanced object-oriented programming topics such as inheritance and polymorphism. It gives students a deeper understanding of programming and gives more practical skills in designing, building and testing larger computer programs, including ones having graphical user interfaces, and utilising file I/O.
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- implement basic programming concepts through designing and constructing simple programs using Java as the implementation language;
- explain object-oriented concepts such as inheritance, polymorphism, and abstract classes and interfaces and interpret how they are implemented in Java;
- apply the object-oriented design principles to a multiple-class object-oriented program;
- construct Java programs that include graphical user interface with event handling, collection classes, exception handling and files for persistent data storage;
- identify a range of modern tools to support the process of programming complex software systems.
Examination (2 hours): 50%; In-semester assessment: 50%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- Two hours of lectures
- One 2-hour laboratory
- Study schedule for off-campus students:
- Off-campus students generally do not attend lecture and tutorial sessions, however should plan to spend equivalent time working through the relevant resources and participating in discussion groups each week.
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 8 hours independent study per week for completing lab and project work, private study and revision.
Ms Sheelagh Walton