6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate – Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal datesfor the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Ms Marianne Louw
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
ATS2432, ATS3432, AZA2432
The main objective of this unit is to study and acquire theory and practice of communication in multicultural organisations. The unit begins with an introduction to broad principles of organisational communication and considers diverse perspectives and approaches to organisations and communication. Students will be introduced to organisational communication processes, components, influences and interventions. Topics of cultural and gender diversity, interpersonal skills, organisational change and development, globalisation and ethical conduct will be addressed.
Students who complete this unit will be able to:
- Identify and assess diverse theories of organisational communication.
- Identify and evaluate management approaches and their effects on organisational communication.
- Comprehend and evaluate the implications of specific processes, constructs and elements of organisational communication in terms of:
- Roles and functions
- Organisation structure
- Organisation culture
- Identify and apply interpersonal communication skills needed in an organization.
- Appreciate and be sensitized to gender and cultural diversity in an organisational context.
- Describe organisational and individual change.
- Explain organisational development
- Apply communication intervention techniques.
- Practice ethical behaviour in organisational and cultural contexts.
- To identify elements and causes of dysfunctional organisational communication
- Apply methods of conflict resolution.
- Identify and evaluate the impact and effects of globalisation on organisational communication.
Within semester assessment: 60% + Exam: 40%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
Ms Marianne Louw
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Communication and media studies – South Africa